The Clever Dripper is another brewer that combines the immersion brew method with a paper filter. They allow for larger brew sizes than the AeroPress, and like the AeroPress, are also very forgiving. You can make about 12 ounce of coffee easily. It looks like a pour over dripper, however there is a leak proof valve at the bottom that will not begin the draw down until it is placed on a mug or carafe.
Things you will need:
- Clever Dripper (Large)
- Cone Filters #4
- Whole Bean Coffee
- Burr Grinder
- Kitchen Scale
- Clean Filtered Water – Preferably Soft
- Kettle (Electric or Stove Top)
- Timer (If not integrated in your scale)
- Carafe or Mug (depending on brew size)
Here are the instructions for making coffee with a Clever Dripper:
- Boil the water in your gooseneck kettle.
- While your water is warming, using the recipe sheet and on the resources page, grind your coffee by weight to a medium/fine ground, similar to table salt. I would use a maximum brew size of about 400 ml, so for this example we will use 24 grams of coffee for 400 ml of water.
- Fold the #4 Cone Filter at the two seams to assist with better seating in the dripper
- Do not place the Clever Dripper on the carafe at this time, place it on your counter or scale.
- Rinse the filter paper and warm the dripper. Dispose of the water.
- Place your Clever Dripper directly on the scale (without the carafe) and tare to zero.
- First pour in 400 ml of fresh off the boil water.
- Second add the 24 grams of coffee and stir until fully saturated.
- Allow the coffee to steep for 2:00.
- At the end of the steep stir the crust. You can wait another 30 seconds after the stir if you want.
- Place the dripper on a carafe to begin down into a carafe, this should take about 1:00.
- Stir the coffee before serving.
Check out our post about the AeroPress here, another great option for single servings and travel.