Jump to a Section:
- Burr Brew Grinders
- Kitchen/Coffee Scale
- Pour Over Kit
- Coffee Makers
- Single Serving/French Press Coffee
- Espresso Machines & Grinders
- Other Coffee Recommendations
- Kid Stuff
- Photography & Audio
- Other Recommendations
The Baratza Encore is a grinder that’s highly recommended. It is probably the most recommended brew grinder out there. See our review here. If you want to buy an electric grinder for espresso, look at the grinders in this section. The ones above are for brewed coffee only.
Kitchen Scale – The FEESPEC Coffee Scale with Timer is the one I recommend, it offers good value and response time. It has a built in timer and comes with a silicone mat to help keep it clean. I tested this against much more expensive scales and found this one to work the best.
Check out my full post about kitchen scales here.
Pour Over Coffee Kit – An acrylic dripper works better than glass, ceramic or metal for keeping the brew hot.
- Hairo V60 Pour Over Coffee Dripper Size 02 – Ideal for brews up to about 600 ml – Size 02 Paper Filters
- Hairo V60 Pour Over Coffee Dripper Size 03 – Ideal for brews up to about 800 ml – Size 03 Paper Filters
- Hario Glass Carafe/Server Size 03 – Go for the bigger size even with a size 02 dripper, it will be helpful when you need a larger brew size.
- Hario Thermal Carafe/Server Size 03 – This is the thermal version.
- Bodum Melior Electric Gooseneck Kettle – 800 ml capacity, if you want a variable temperature kettle check out the OXO Brew Gooseneck Kettle.
Coffee Maker – Programmable – Breville BDC450BSS Precision Brewer Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe – This SCA certified home brewer is fully programmable and versatile. You purchase it with an accessory to use it as an automatic pour over machine.
Coffee Maker – Non-programmable – Technivorm Moccamaster 79312 KBGT Coffee Brewer – This SCA certified home brewer is not programmable, but can be used with a smart switch. These machines are hand built in the Netherlands and have a 5 year warranty.
Single Serving/French Press Coffee Makers –
- AeroPress – Makes about 6 oz. of regular coffee, can be used to make espresso-like coffee as well.
- Clever Dripper – Makes about 12 oz. of regular coffee.
- OXO French Press with GroundsLifter – Easy cleanup of coffee grounds. Makes about 26 oz. of coffee.
- Moka Pot – Makes espresso-like coffee at home.
Espresso Machines & Grinders –
Espresso is a commitment, it isn’t as simple as hitting a button and having a nice cappuccino or latte in the mornings. You will get the best results from using a separate espresso machine and specialized espresso grinder because you need micro adjustments or stepless adjustments not found in brew grinders. You can look up videos on how to dial in espresso to get a better sense of the process, be ready for a new hobby. AeroPress and Moka Pot can make espresso-like drinks, but can’t achieve the bars of pressure required to make true espresso.
Here is our recommendation for a value espresso setup. Many people modify the Over Pressure Valve (OPV) spring on this machine for better results.
If you want an all in one system check out the Breville Oracle Touch. This machine is not a true super-automatic because you have to move the coffee grounds yourself and pour the milk, but it provides better results versus a true super-automatic and has less moving parts. This machine has a PID and Dual Boilers which are must have features in a high-end espresso machine. It has a user friendly touch screen and adjustments to dial in your espresso shots.
I mentioned for espresso grinders you want micro-adjustments or stepless adjustments (no clicks like on a brew grinder), the Jura E8 machine only has 6 grind settings, which makes it challenging to do a proper grind adjustment for espresso, but will work better for regular coffee. The Breville I recommended above has 45 grind settings which will get you a lot closer to the right grind size, the Philips has a 12 step grinder. If you only make lattes and milk based drinks, you’re masking any potential bitterness of the espresso with milk, so it won’t be as noticeable as with straight espresso. These might be a good option for convenience or for the office that will still be much better than using pods.
Other Coffee Recommendations –
- Best Coffee Storage Container – Airscape Coffee & Food Storage Canister
- Best Book About Coffee – The World Atlas of Coffee by James Hoffmann
- Water Boiler & Warmer – Zojirushi CV-DCC40 Hybrid Water Boiler And Warmer
- Thermal Carafe – Zojirushi SH-HB15 Vacuum Carafe, 1.5 L / Zojirushi SH-HB10 Vacuum Carafe, 1.0 L
Kid Stuff –
- Booster Car Seat – Britax Grow with You ClickTight Harness-2
- Convertible Car Seat – Britax Boulevard ClickTight Anti-Rebound Bar
- Travel System – Chicco Bravo Trio
- High Chair – Stokke Adjustable Ergonomic Tripp Trapp High Chair Complete
Photography & Audio –
- Value USB Mic (What I use for video voice over) – Fifine Metal Condenser Recording Microphone
- LED Light Kit for Videos/Photo – RALENO LED Lighting Kit With, Built-in Lithium Battery 3200K-6500K
- Small LED Light for Videos/Photo – Neewer LED Light, Built-in Rechargeable Battery, 3200K-5600K
Other Recommendations –
- Pellet Grill – Traeger Grills TFB89BLFC Ironwood 885
- Gas Grill – Weber 62006001 Genesis II S-435
- Ceramic Grill – Kamado Joe KJ15041021 Big Joe III
- Rice Cooker – Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer
- Smart Thermostat – Basic – Nest Thermostat
- Smart Thermostat – Upgrade – Nest Learning Thermostat
- Sous Vide – Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker Nano
- Home Air Filter – Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
J.D. Roastery may earn a small commission from sales generated by links to products or services on this site. You do not pay anything extra and your purchase helps support content creation and keeping your blog experience ad free.