Jump to a Section:
- Burr Brew Grinders
- Kitchen/Coffee Scale
- Pour Over Kit
- Coffee Makers
- Single Serving/French Press Coffee
- Espresso Machines & Grinders
- Other Coffee Recommendations
The Baratza Encore is a grinder that’s highly recommended. It is probably the most recommended brew grinder out there. See our review here. These grinders are not recommended for espresso. The Fellow Ode is another great option at a higher price point, but delivers great results and good value.
The Timemore C2 Max is a great hand grinder for brewed coffee if you’re looking for something portable. For an hand grinder good for brewed coffee and espresso, check out the 1Zpresso K-Max. The J-Max is an excellent espresso focused hand grinder with precise adjustment.
Kitchen Scale – The FEESPEC Coffee Scale with Timer is the one I recommend, it offers good value and response time. It has a built in timer and comes with a silicone mat to help keep it clean. I tested this against much more expensive scales and found this one to work the best.
Check out my full post about kitchen scales here.
- Hairo V60 Pour Over Coffee Dripper Size 02 – Ideal for brews up to about 600 ml – Size 02 Paper Filters
- Hairo V60 Pour Over Coffee Dripper Size 03 – Ideal for brews up to about 800 ml – Size 03 Paper Filters
- Hario V60 Switch 02 – Immersion & Pour Over Brewer Set
- Hario V60 Switch 03 – Immersion & Pour Over Brewer
- Hario Beaker – 600 ml – Clean looking server/measuring beaker
- Hario Glass Carafe/Server Size 03 – Go for the bigger size even with a size 02 dripper, it will be helpful when you need a larger brew size.
- Hario Thermal Carafe/Server Size 03 – This is the thermal version.
- Bodum Melior Electric Gooseneck Kettle – 800 ml capacity.
- If you want a variable temperature kettle check out the OXO Brew Gooseneck Kettle. Edit: As of February 2022, this item has been on backorder.
Best Mid-Range Coffee Maker – Bonavita Connoisseur BV1901TS – This SCA certified home brewer makes great coffee with no frills at a great value. See my full review here. This brewer cannot be programmed or used with a smart switch. Edit: As of February 2022 this machine has been out of stock an may have been discontinued.
Coffee Maker – Programmable – OXO Brew 9 Cup – This SCA certified home brewer has a timer feature to schedule automatic brewing. It comes with a thermal carafe and comes in at an attractive price point. It takes a little longer to brew as it pulses the hot water, but it offers great extraction. Full review here.
Single Serving/French Press Coffee Makers –
- AeroPress – Makes about 6 oz. of regular coffee, can be used to make espresso-like coffee as well. See our brew guide.
- Hario Switch – Similar to the Clever Dripper, but uses V60 filter papers and can also be used for pour over. See our brew guide.
- Clever Dripper – Makes about 12 oz. of regular coffee. See our brew guide.
- OXO French Press with GroundsLifter – Easy cleanup of coffee grounds. Makes about 26 oz. of coffee. See our brew guide.
- Moka Pot – Makes espresso-like coffee at home.
All in One Espresso Machines –
If you prioritize ease of use with programmable shot volume, a good machine to look at is the Breville Barista Pro. It is a solid machine that offers great ease of use with a built in grinder. The Breville Barista Touch adds automatic milk steaming and a touch screen interface for those who want easy milk based drinks. I own a Breville Barista Pro and you can read the full review and an introduction to espresso here.
Espresso Machines & Grinders – If you want to geek out and possibly hack and modify these machines:
Espresso is a commitment, it isn’t as simple as hitting a button and having a nice cappuccino or latte in the mornings. You will get the best results from using a separate espresso machine and specialized espresso grinder because you need micro adjustments or stepless adjustments not found in brew grinders. You can look up videos on how to dial in espresso to get a better sense of the process, be ready for a new hobby. See our introduction to espresso here.
Here is our recommendation for a value espresso setup. Many people modify the Over Pressure Valve (OPV) spring on this machine for better results.
Here is our recommendation for a mid-range espresso setup. Many people modify the machine to add a Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) Controller for better temperature control on this machine.
If you want a bean to cup system check out the Breville Oracle Touch. This machine is not a true super-automatic because you have to move the coffee grounds yourself and pour the milk, but it provides better results versus a true super-automatic and has less moving parts. This machine has a PID and Dual Boilers which are must have features in a high-end espresso machine. It has a user friendly touch screen and adjustments to dial in your espresso shots.
I mentioned for espresso grinders you want micro-adjustments or stepless adjustments (no clicks like on a brew grinder), the Jura E8 machine only has 6 grind settings, which makes it challenging to do a proper grind adjustment for espresso, but will work better for regular coffee. The Breville Oracle Touch I recommended above has 45 grind settings which will get you a lot closer to the right grind size, the Philips has a 12 step grinder. If you only make lattes and milk based drinks, you’re masking any potential bitterness of the espresso with milk, so it won’t be as noticeable as with straight espresso. These might be a good option for convenience or for the office that will still be much better than using pods.
Other Coffee Recommendations –
- Best Coffee Storage Container – Airscape Coffee & Food Storage Canister
- Best Book About Coffee – The World Atlas of Coffee by James Hoffmann
- Water Boiler & Warmer – Zojirushi CV-DCC40 Hybrid Water Boiler And Warmer
- Thermal Carafe – Zojirushi SH-HB15 Vacuum Carafe, 1.5 L / Zojirushi SH-HB10 Vacuum Carafe, 1.0 L
J.D. Roastery may earn a small commission from sales generated by links to products or services on this site. You do not pay anything extra and your purchase helps support content creation and keeping your blog experience ad free.